Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Metro Music


I will confess, I have never felt great about giving homeless people money for reasons not entirely clear to me. As a result though I've just never done really much done it. I've always felt like a Scrooge for this. So to make up for it, I like to give money to the musicians and the street performers. In Paris, this is super easy because a musician comes complimentary with nearly every train! They'll hop on, play a few tunes, and then hop off a couple of stops later. And you get a sampling of everything, from your traditional accordian players to aspiring rappers. Le Parisiens hardly seem to notice, even when the guy is blaring a trumpet right into their ear on a crowded train. But, for me it's another one of those little Paris things I absolutely dig, and now I try to make sure I have some coins on me whenever I ride the Metro.

Note: I've never waited more than three minutes for a Metro train here. It's incredible. Jessica, who plans her entire life on the assumption that all travel time will be executed perfectly and without delay, is actually showing up on time for things now. Somebody from the T in Boston should come visit this place. Dare I say... I like the Metro in Paris even more than the S.F. BART system, and that is saying a lot.

1 comment:

  1. More than the BART???!!!! YOU SHUT YOUR MOUTH WHEN YOU'RE TALKING TO ME!

    ReplyDelete