Monday, November 23, 2009

Le Tres Cool Jazz





Our friend Bridget visited this past weekend from Boston. Nice to have someone from home drop in. And to sweeten the deal she brought along her French friend Mirriam who was uber cool. We went out for Crepes down by the Fontaine Saint Michel, and then they took us along to a Jazz bar they knew about over in the 5th arrondisement over on the Left Bank. It was one of those tiny little pubs you never find unless someone takes you there, and the band was tres cool which is my favorite new bastardized French term I'm claiming credit for (I create a lot of bastardized French terms, but largely by accident).

The drinks were tres chere (expensive) however, but pretty much there is no escaping that in Paris. Usually I just block it out of my mind, but when you stop for a second to consider that the tiny beer your drinking just cost you $15 bucks, it can give you a moment of pause. Actually, this has been less of a problem lately, as I recently had a mysterious blood test during my routine work physical (a requirement for joining the French health care system... Sorry America, but I prefer being covered to our "excellent" system which covers you know... only healthy people, and for about ten times as much) which showed I have some high enzyme levels that should be low. So until they figure out just exactly what I'm dying of this has been my excuse to tamp down my drinking habits just a tad.



1 comment:

  1. Wait...you're dying AND you can't drink??!!! Oh the humanity...

    ReplyDelete