Friday, November 13, 2009

You Gotta Fight For Your Right To Party

I have had an interesting start at work. Or more correctly, a false start. I'm finishing up my third week and I haven't done a thing... because I'm not allowed to. Apparently they don't want me handling bacteria, pipettes or anything of that nature until I complete a safety course. Which wasn't available for three weeks. So I come to work everyday and sit around surfing the web on the computer (at least until I managed to burn out a capacitor on the motherboard yesterday, probably caused when I started typing a tad too hard out of frustration with the confusing French keyboard). Ahh, welcome to France, I guess.

Speaking of the welcome though, each morning when I've showed up the past week I've had to wade through a throng of strikers to get to the lab. Seriously I thought the stories about French greves! we're a joke, but apparently they do love to strike. And French strikes seem like a party. Everyone is dressed up in matching orange vests, banging pots and pans, and dancing around like it's a grand ol time. I haven't been able to figure out what exactly they're striking about, but I'm not sure you need much of a raison here. In fact, two of my coworkers spent the better half of this morning moaning about their troubles getting to work due to the fact that the drivers of the train line they come to work on are also out on greve this week. Anyways, as I have nothing to do in the lab, I've been strongly considering joining in. After all, when in France...

Note: We should apologize for being a little slow on getting the camera up and running. So the first post or two is going to be a tad light on photos, but they're coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment